William and Margeret Margery (Pritchard) Parker
William Parker 1612 in England and died December 28, 1686 (another source says December 21, 1686) in Saybrook, Middlesex, Connecticut. He married Margeret Margery Pritchard in 1636 in Hartford, Connecticut. Margeryt was born December 06, 1620 in Hartford, Connecticut and died December 06, 1680 in Saybrook, Connecticut.
William was an original proprietor and land owner in Harford, Connecticut in 1636, where his name is on the west face of the Founders Monument. Here his home–lot in 1639 was on the west side of the “road from Seth Grant’s to Centinel Hill,” now Trumbull St. He too part in the Pequot War (an armed conflict in 1637-1638 between an alliance of Massachusetts Bay and Plymouth colonies, with Native American allies - the Narragansett, and Mohegan tribe), against the Pequot tribe.) in 1637 and moved to Saybrook about 1643. He was a pillar in the church in 1646 and a Deputy of Connecticut General Court during the sessions in September 1652, May 1672, May and October 1673, October 1680, May and October 1681, May and October 1682, and May 1683. William was a Sergeant in the Saybrook Train Band, owned land in Saybrook, and he was one of the three appraisers of the estate of George Fenwick in 1660. He was also involved in the inventory of the estate of William Carmackle in 1666.
The History of the Parker Pen Company says: “In the autumn of 1633 William Parker left Dover, England with his wife Margery, aged 17, and eventually set sail from London on the ship “Matthew” departing May 21, 1635. Their ambitious journey no doubt may have been inspired by tales of the great migration in the prior few years by the Wellington Fleet, and several other convoys of ships carrying over thousands of settlers to the New World and The Massachusetts Bay Colony.
One can only imagine the anxiety and even fear of making such a journey. There must have been profound reason to undertake such a risk, to travel for months on open seas subjected to storms, disease and perhaps “ocean monsters” believed to be able to swallow entire ships. The reason was primarily the same as thousands of other Pilgrims and Puritans taking this great migration, in protest of the religious intolerance of the High Church establishment of the day.
Other countries such as France, Spain, Holland and Sweden also send convoys of settlers to establish communities in the New World. Land charters were given to wealthy merchants for the purpose of reaping the riches of this new trade market. The success of these settlers gaining foothold in the new land would eventually determine the future nationalities of America.
The Parker’s ship sailed to St. Christophers, a small English Colony island in the West Indies. In the autumn of 1635 a Dutch trade ship deposited salt, tobacco, trade goods and the young Parker family to the docks in or near Boston.
Geoffrey S. Parker today relates that “soon after in 1636 they moved to Hartford, Connecticut where William Parker is listed as one of the original founders of this community.”
The Parker’s first child, Sarah was born “a little before Michaelmas” Oct 29, 1637, followed by Joseph, John, Ruth, William, Joseph, Margaret, Jonathan, David and Debora. Of these children several survived to adulthood, many having achieved notable accomplishments in their communities.
About the year 1649 William Parker moved to a property owned by the English Lords Saye and Brooke (Saybrook, Connecticut). This area was recently an Indian village called Pash-ebe-shauke “the place by the river’s mouth” occupied by Algonquin and Nehantic Indians. The Indian name for this area was
Quon-ito-cutt. Say this quickly and you will now hear…Connecticut. William Parker became a large land holder by 1673, likely receiving land grants for serving in the Pequot Indian War. He filled several town offices, and was a member of important town committees such as Deputy to the General Court for many sessions. To this day his original home, one of the oldest surviving structures in the county still stands and can be visited in Saybrook. ”
All of this couples children were born in Saybrook and were:
Sarah born October 29, 1637 and married Joseph Peck and
died September 14, 1726
Joseph born March 1610 and died in July of the same year
John born February 1, 1641/2 and married Mary Buckingham and died in 1706
Ruth born June 15, 1643 and married William Barber and died after 1687
William born in 1645 and married (1) Cora ? (2) Hannah and (3) Lydia Brown
and died August 20, 1725
Joseph born February 1647 and married (1) Hannah Gilbert/Gilbord
on June 3, 1673 and (2) Mary and died November 5, 1725
Margaret born 1650 and married Joseph Pratt and died in 1682
Jonathan born February 1652 and died in 1683
David born February 1656 and died in January 1723
Deborah born March 1658 and died before 1683
The Founders of Saybrook Colony and Their Descendants
The History of the Parker Pen Company – Len Provisor
Joshua Uncas Will